The Fastest Way to Grow Your Business Isn't Helping Everyone

Support Her Journey C2 Your Health Women's Initiative Experience Blogspot


Yesterday I had a conversation with one of my
mentees that reminded me of a lesson I learned early in my own business journey. She was spending a great deal of her time helping people, and her heart was absolutely in the right place. She cared deeply about making a difference and wanted to help everyone who crossed her path. The challenge was that most of the people she was helping weren't her ideal clients and weren't in a position to hire her.

As we talked, I couldn't help but smile as I remembered doing exactly the same thing when I first started my business. I said yes to everyone. I answered every question, gave away my time freely, and truly believed that if I just helped enough people, everything else would somehow fall into place. At the end of the day, I was exhausted, but my business wasn't growing the way I had hoped.

Looking back, I realized I had confused being busy with building a business. I was making a difference in people's lives, but I wasn't spending enough time on the activities that actually generated revenue. Without income, even the biggest heart for serving others can't sustain a business for very long.

This is something I see often when mentoring women entrepreneurs, especially those in helping professions. Nurses, coaches, consultants, therapists, educators, and nonprofit leaders naturally want to serve others. It's one of the qualities that makes them exceptional at what they do. The challenge is learning when to serve freely and when to focus on building a business that will allow them to keep serving for years to come.

One of the biggest mindset shifts for women entrepreneurs is understanding that making money isn't selfish. A healthy business creates choices. It gives you the opportunity to offer scholarships, volunteer your time, mentor others, support community organizations, and say yes to causes that matter to you. But before you can do those things consistently, your business has to be financially healthy.

Over the years, I've learned to ask myself one simple question whenever my day starts getting away from me: "Is what I'm doing right now moving my business forward?" Sometimes the answer is yes. Other times I realize I've been busy with activities that feel productive but aren't creating opportunities for growth. That simple question has helped me stay focused on what matters most.

Money-making activities look different for every business, but they all have one thing in common they move you closer to serving the people who are looking for exactly what you offer. Whether it's meeting with potential clients, following up with leads, creating a new offer, networking, or serving your existing customers well, these are the activities that create a strong foundation for long-term success.

That doesn't mean you stop helping people. It simply means you become more intentional about how you help. Sometimes helping someone means pointing them to a resource, introducing them to another professional, inviting them to a workshop, or sharing something you've already created. You can still have a generous heart while also protecting the time you need to grow your business.

Looking back, I wish someone had given me permission to focus on building my business without feeling guilty. The truth is, the stronger my business became, the more people I was able to help. Success didn't change my heart—it expanded my ability to serve.

If you forget everything we've talked about today, remember this: Helping people changes lives. Building a successful business allows you to help even more people. Protect your heart for serving others, but also protect the business that makes your service possible.

💛

Stay healthy. Stay connected. Stay you. 

Your mentor, 

Cindy Cohen RN, BS BA 
Founder, President 

SupportHerJourney.org 
C2 Your Health Women's Initiative, Inc

Get the book! 
She Means Business: Breaking Through and Scaling Up https://a.co/d/7KERmgS 
Women Who Launch: Your Guide to Startup Success  https://a.co/d/3D3Y5SD 

This post is part of the Support Her Journey Blog. © 2026 C2 Your Health Women’s Initiative Inc.

#WomenEntrepreneurs #podcastguest #BusinessSuccess #C2YHWI #womenmoveforward #mentoringwomenworks #bridgethegapforwomen #womenpreneurcollective #wesummitsb #cindycohen #cindycohenrn #motivationmonday  #women #inspiration #empowerment #1mcmishawaka #domesticviolence #businessstrategies #businesssuccess 

Comments

Popular Posts